Friday, November 9, 2012

OC Fair

At the Orange County fair, which is quite a fantastic fair considering its urban setting, I saw this:


And I knew I had to try some of it.  What to choose? They have chocolate covered bacon, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, and deep-fried beer-battered bacon wrapped hot dogs.  My arteries began curdling, while my brain and stomach said "Yes please!"  So I shelled out $20 for this:

That is a bacon-wrapped turkey leg.  A smoked turkey leg covered in over a pound of bacon. (It's gluten-free!)  Seems amazing, right?  It is amazing for about the first ten minutes of gnawing on the thing.
And the turkey is smoky, greasy, and moist, under the rich fatty bacon crust.  And you are in heaven.  Then you realize you've eaten a lot of fat in the last ten minutes and your stomach starts to complain.  And then you need to get to the nearest restroom due to the extra lubrication you have just added to your colon.  But the initial gloriousness of the thing will make you want to do it again... next year. If I did it more often than that I would likely weigh 600 pounds.

The aftermath:
It paired well with the pictured Shock Top beer.

Other food options I plan to try next time:
  • Fried chicken sandwich on a sliced donut
  • Fried Snickers
  • Fried Kool-aid
  • Fried Oreos
(Noticing a trend here?)

No comments:

Post a Comment